Sunday, May 19, 2013

Day Three in England - Seeing the Main Attractions



 
Today was the day to see the Changing of the Guard at Buckingham Palace. I had been looking forward to this, because it is the tourist thing to do while in London. The event was much longer than I had imagined it being, and seemed even longer when you are pushed up against a fence by mobs of people who want a view to get good pictures. I was fortunate enough to arrive early to get a spot by the fence. I was able to record several videos to capture the moments of the grand event. The video of the actual changing of the guard can be found here, and one of the songs played by the band (which sounds like a secret agent theme song) can be found here. The Changing of the Guard is up there on the list of my favorite things I saw in London, and I would recommend it to anyone touring in London.

My friend Jenni and I went up to Abbey Road to see where the Beatles were and sign the wall. The wall was a very interesting thing to see, as there were signatures from all over the world; it was hard to find some from the USA. I am not a huge fan of the Beatles, but it was fun to see and now I can say that I signed the wall!
Our next stop was the Tower of London. The Tower of London is much larger than I ever imagined it being. There were so many walls around it, it definitely would be difficult for someone to get in if they were trying to sneak in. It was great to just sit and take in the sight of this old, beautiful piece of architecture.
 
From Tower of London we went to see Tower Bridge and walk across it so we could see the attractions south of the river Thames and make our way over to the London Eye and Big Ben. I was in awe at the beauty of Tower Bridge, so much so that it felt like I was dreaming and any second I would wake up.
The London Eye was incredible. The views were absolutely breathtaking and I was not as scared of the height as I had anticipated I would be. I am deathly afraid of heights, especially when in a group of people, but because the London Eye was enclosed, I felt completely safe. For anyone who wants to ride the Eye, but may have a serious fear of heights, try it out because it is not as scary as it may seem and you will never forget the incredible views you get from the experience. We rode it just before sunset, so the sky was beginning to get gorgeous, minus the many clouds that tried getting in the way. By the time our ride was over, the lights around the city were beginning to turn on and we were able to get pictures of the Eye and Big Ben at night.
The London Eye at Dusk
 
Big Ben had to be my most favorite part of the entire trip. I have acquired a love for clocks, and Big Ben was the winner. I knew the clock was large, but seeing it in person makes it really feel like Big Ben. The timing of the sun going down was perfect, as I was able to get pictures of Big Ben before the lights turned on and after the lights turned on when the sky was dark. It was absolutely beautiful and showed the craftsmanship of God's work and how he equipped men to build such gorgeous things.

No comments:

Post a Comment