Friday, May 17, 2013

Day One in England - Arriving in London



Arrived at the Piccadilly Circus Tube Station
Our flight landed at London Heathrow Airport around 8am, London time (6 hours ahead of us here in Wisconsin). We went through immigration and then headed to baggage claim to collect our luggage. After finding our luggage, we waited for our coach bus to arrive so we could get to our hotel. We stayed at Kent Hall Hotel in London. Our hotel was just a minute or two walk from the Piccadilly Line Manor House station. Here is a link to the tube map to take a look at how I got around while in London. The Piccadilly Line is the dark blue one, which is the one we frequented the most, as it took us back to our hotel. The first station we rode to was the Piccadilly Circus station, where our group split off into smaller groups.
Piccadilly Circus
 
Living Statues









The First Phone Booth I Saw in London
I had no idea how prevalent the phone booths were in London, so I took several pictures of the first ones I spotted. After the first day, I became accustomed to the ways of London and how many phone booths and double decker buses there were. They really were quite a sight to see and I was amazed that they were still in use, as there are so many people who have cellphones these days.
Royal Courts of Justice
Soho Square



Soho Square was absolutely fun to see. I loved how quaint and small it was compared to the busy hub-bub of the city. This is the place where I began to see just how many cool, old buildings there were in England, specifically London. Beautiful parks, beautiful architecture, who could ask for anything more?

Twinings Tea, a Small Store with Great Tea
As a tea lover, a visit to Twinings was a must while in London. I found some tea for a couple of my friends, as well as for myself. I have not yet tried any of the tea, but will be very soon! A trip to England is not complete without either purchasing some tea or enjoying a cup of tea.

Herman  Melville Lived Here
Benjamin Franklin Lived Here


















The day came to an end when walking through and discovering where Benjamin Franklin and Herman Melville lived. It was very neat to be walking where famous people walked and to see where they once lived. I have never actually been some place like this before, where you can find the past residences of famous people. My first day in London was a success, I must say, and I enjoyed every moment of it, despite it being a long day after only a couple hours of sleep I managed to get on the plane.

No comments:

Post a Comment